Match.com Rape Trial and Dating Safely
The Jason Lawrance rape trial was concluded at Derby Crown Court on Thursday of this week with a guilty verdict and Lawrence being jailed for life, with Judge Gregory Dickinson making a recommendation that Lawrance must serve a minimum of 12.5 years before he could be considered for parole. With the Judge also expressing his hopes that lessons could be learned from the use of such sites and that dating safely become an effective measure. The court was stunned however into silence at one point when victim number 3 took to the witness stand and recounted that when she rang Match.Com to report to them she had been raped that ‘They did not seem to give a damn”.
The Crime and Police Commissioner of the Police Force that brought Lawrance to trial – Derbyshire Police, Alan Charles called Internet Dating ‘The darkest alley of all” after the trial was concluded. Said Mr Charles: ‘Personal safety advice used to incorporate avoiding walking alone down dark alleys at night but the Internet can be the darkest alley of all’. And where dating safely is of the most importance. Mr Charles continued: ‘The popularity of any website where personal information is required does raise the question of security and more needs to be done to keep people aware of the dangers.’
The Judge also asked ‘Is there any supervision of these sites?’ as it was revealed that Match.Com on 4 occasions was asked to take down Lawrance’s profile by the victims and on each occasion they refused, siting ‘lack of evidence’ according to The Daily Telegraph online. But there IS an alternative and here are the steps we take at Searchmate to ensure that our members date in the safest possible environment.
- We aim our membership only at educated professionals, business owners, entrepreneurs and the active retired.
- Every member is personally interviewed using one of the most comprehensive client questionnaires in the dating industry – we ask the tough questions too!
- All new members are ID checked using photographic evidence and verified.
- Our service is completely confidential and there is no internet profile or photographs.
- You work on a one to one with one of our experienced personal matchmakers, who will guide you throughout your membership.
- Your matches are all vetted and recommended by our personal matchmakers, with feedback taken after every date.
Like to know more? Then phone us at our expense on 0800 644 4160 or complete the contact form on the site. We’d love to talk you through our much safer form of meeting people, how dating safely is important and Julie Lazarus, our Senior Membership Adviser would be happy to do that. Ring us today.